Wang Boyuan from Technode and TechCrunch China joined us for a conversation on Jingdong or JD dot com. We discussed the backstory behind this company and the key people behind the 2nd largest ecommerce company in China. He also explained the different revenue streams behind JD dot com and Tencent’s backing of this company as a proxy against Alibaba in China’s ecommerce space.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Wang Boyuan, Writer and Editor, TechCrunch China (@thisboyuan) [0:50]
- How did you start your career in journalism? [1:10]
- What are the interesting stories which you have covered this week? [1:40]
- JD.com or Jingdong (Wikipedia, Google Finance) [2:55]
- Ecommerce company, listed on NASDAQ at US$31.2B market capitalisation, founded by Liu Qiangdong in 1998.
- What’s the mission and vision of JD.com? [3:10]
- What’s the backstory of JD.com and how it did evolve from 360buy.com to JD.com? [4:00]
- Tencent’s investment in JD.com [6:40]
- Who are the key executives in JD.com besides the founder Liu Qiangdong? [7:00]
- Shen Haoyu 沈皓瑜, the CEO of JD Mall.
- Who are the board of directors within JD.com? [8:00]
- Liu has 82.5% of voting power in the board. Martin Lau, President of Tencent sits on the board. Louis Hsieh from New Oriental linked to Xu Xiaoping of Zhenfund, “The Ron Conway of China”.
- What are the core revenue drivers for JD.com? (Reference: 2015 Annual Report or their earnings call) [9:00]
- Retail sales are still their major income, in 16Q1 JD.com earned 54 billion yuan ($8.3 billion) in net revenue in Q1, up 47.3 percent year on year, with its gross merchandise volume growing by 55 percent to about 129 billion yuan. Orders rose by over 50 percent in the first three months with more than two thirds coming from mobile terminals such as smartphones.
- Is JD dot com in iOS and Android and also in Wechat? [9:50]
- What are the core features on the JD.com platform and some of the recent innovations introduced to the ecommerce platform (for example, equivalent of JD Prime similar to Amazon Prime, Amazon dash buttons)? [10:24]
- How does JD.com compare with Alibaba, for example, their clash on Singles Day? What’s the strategic partnership between Tencent and JD.com? [15:13]
- JD.com has a financing arm called JD finance, and recently, the parent company invested US$1B along with Sequoia and other players into the company. What’s the rationale behind this move? [16:23]
- Will JD.com expand out to the world soon? [20:13]
- Google Play
- Product Hunt
The show is hosted by Bernard Leong (@bleongcw) and are sponsored by Ideal Workspace (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) with their new Altizen Desk on Indiegogo (Twitter, Facebook, Medium). Also check out Ideal Workspace’s new standing desk, Altizen and sign up for their mailing list. Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, “The Beginning” from Red Cliff Soundtrack.