Sameer Singh from App Annie and our host Bernard Leong offer their five predictions to what will rock the Asia landscape in 2017 and examine side events that hit the road ahead after a turbulent and unpredictable 2016. We discuss: (a) Softbank’s gambit with Sprint & T-Mobile, (b) Asia messaging apps vs Facebook & Whatsapp part deux, (c) Amazon’s foray into Southeast Asia with Alibaba making a play as well, (d) Uber vs Ola and Grab in consolidation phase and (e) Short-form and live video in Asia vs US/Europe.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Sameer Singh (@sameer_singh17, LinkedIn, main site), Industry Analysis Director of App Annie & Founder of Tech-thoughts.net (see his article “2017 Predictions for the App Economy” in App Annie).
- Five predictions for Asia technology landscape in 2017
- SoftBank’s gambit with T-Mobile and Sprint in one [0:57]
- Asia messaging apps vs Facebook/Whatsapp part deux [3:00]
- WeChat’s “mini apps” vs Facebook Chatbots
- Amazon’s first foray into Southeast Asia – Battleground between West and East [10:09]
- Different strategies: Alibaba’s acquisition spree vs Amazon going direct in new markets.
- Uber vs Grab and Ola in consolidation phase [12:53]
- Short-form and live video in Asia (Live casting in China) vs US/Europe [14:30]
- Side Prediction
- Voice assistant hype fades [15:50]
- Smartphone AR
- Google Play
- Product Hunt
The show is hosted by Bernard Leong (@bleongcw) and are sponsored by Ideal Workspace (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) with their new Altizen Desk on Indiegogo (Twitter, Facebook, Medium). Also check out Ideal Workspace’s new standing desk, Altizen and sign up for their mailing list. Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, “The Beginning” from Red Cliff Soundtrack.