Rhea Liu from China Tech Insights, Tencent joined in a 2 part conversation on their recent published report “Trends and Predictions for China tech industry in 2017”. In the first part of our conversation, we discussed the objectives, methodologies and key results from the report, and deep dived into different themes such as the complete mobilization of China’s Internet and the impact of Baidu-Alibaba-Tencent to the China domestic and international markets & Chinese startup ecosystem.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Rhea Liu, (LinkedIn, @yushan_l), Analyst at China Tech Insights by Tencent (@CNTechInsights, Wechat: ChinaTechInsights)
- How did you start your career? [1:15]
- China Tech Insights is part of Tencent, one of the Baidu-Alibaba-Tencent (BAT) axis which is also well-known for QQ & Wechat. China Tech Insights is part of Tencent’s Penguin Intelligence.
- What’s your role and coverage for China Tech Insights? [2:17]
- Through your career, what are the interesting careers you can share? [4:46]
- Trends and Predictions for China tech industry in 2017 (English, Chinese) [6:40]
- The report is inspired by Mary Meeker’s annual report on the Internet. The aim is point to provide an accurate depiction of China’s Internet.
- What are the objectives for this report? [6:58]
- What are the methodologies used for research in preparation for the report? [9:03]
- What are the key results from the report? [10:24]
- The Chinese Internet is close to complete mobilization [12:50]
- What does it mean by complete mobilization? [12:58]
- The research data on smartphone and desktop penetration is from CNNIC in China.
- Does that mean that you are beginning to see the niche services becoming important i.e. the emerging growth of long tail niches within the Chinese Internet services? [14:58]
- The impact of the BAT (Baidu-Alibaba-Tencent) [17:00]
- How does each of these companies impact the local markets and international markets differently? [17:15]
- How is the China startup ecosystem reacting to the influence of the BAT? [20:51]
- How are foreign companies entering China work within the BAT ecosystem? [23:14]
Author’s Note: The sound quality for BL’s side is not so good for these two episodes due to issues with skype recording.
- Google Play
- Overcast FM
The show is hosted by Bernard Leong (@bleongcw) and are sponsored by Ideal Workspace (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) with their new Altizen Desk on Indiegogo (Twitter, Facebook, Medium). Also check out Ideal Workspace’s new standing desk, Altizen and sign up for their mailing list. Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, “The Beginning” from Red Cliff Soundtrack.
Special Promo for IoT Asia Conference 2017: Innovation and value generation remain at the forefront of the 4th edition of IoT Asia conference which returns on 29th to 30th March at the Singapore EXPO. Join the 3-track conference to learn about new developments and initiatives from thought-leaders and leading lights in the field. Use our promo code IOT7AASIA to get 10% off conference rates except Academic.