Simon Kemp, founder & CEO of Kepios and global consultant from We Are Social, joined us in a two part discussion on the state of digital in Asia Pacific. In the first part of our conversation, Simon discussed the major trends that have emerged in his report distilling from global to Asia and why voice might be the digital device that surpass the current modes of input in Asia. Last but not least, Simon offered a valuable insight to why access to the Internet is vital to those who are not connected online and part of the emerging & frontier economies from Africa to Asia.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Simon Kemp (@eskimon, LinkedIn), Founder & CEO of Kepios, Global Consultant from We Are Social. [0:38]
- Since our last conversation, what have you been up to? [1:20]
- Are brands still sticking to one or many platforms or stuck in whether they should leverage on digital media tools? [2:00]
- Digital in Asia Pacific 2017 Part 1 [4:25]
- Can you first give an overview of the numbers on digital till Sep 2017 in your report globally and then scale it down to the Asia Pacific region? [4:46]
- Do you think that we will eventually merge the desktop with mobile Internet into one category as the desktop is becoming less and less relevant to access? [7:42]
- Specific for Asia Pacific, are we seeing a mobile first world and less of a desktop world and is it still accelerating? [12:03]
- What are the key global annual digital trends you have seen in 2017 that differ from the previous years? [14:38]
- In your analysis, you talked about the digital divide, can you elaborate which parts of Asia are still not connected to the rest of the world? What are the factors that are responsible for that? [15:29]
- Simon’s interesting comments on why people in the emerging markets need access to the Internet. [21:29]
- Google Play
- Overcast FM
The show is hosted by Bernard Leong (@bernardleong & weibo) and are sponsored by Ideal Workspace (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) with their new Altizen Desk on Indiegogo (Twitter, Facebook, Medium). Also check out Ideal Workspace’s new standing desk, Altizen and sign up for their mailing list. Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, “The Beginning” from Red Cliff Soundtrack.
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below